We’ll Get You Rich
“Don’t worry guys, we’ll get you rich,” was my answer to some readers on twitter who need help making gold.
First thing to know: There is no magic IWIN button.
There is no magic formula.
You cannot just copy what other players are doing. You can only copy the steps they took to discover the methods that work for them, and then repeat them, and find what works for you.
Making gold is like building lego blocks:
You spend most of your time doing trial and error tests to find out what makes gold.
Once you find a method, add that lego block it to your mix, your daily work, and try and get it either automated or at least into such a routine that its really quick to perform.
The guys who asked about gold making had already made some gold, though. So they already knew the basics of how gold works. I think they just need encouragement and ideas for stepping up their game.
Taking the Lego Blocks metaphor, the guys already know how to use a lego block, and how to put lego blocks together, but they need to get a hundred lego blocks and put them all together in an awesome way. So I’m not here to patronise you with “2k per hour farming Cathedral of Darkness!” rubbish. You know what you’re doing.
May I suggest?
- Time management
- Trying new things
- Sort out bad habits
- Add successful items to your routine. Organise that routine.
- Automate – the quicker you can do your daily routine of things that work, the more time you have to try out new methods, to fail quickly and move on to the next idea.
- Alts, alts, alts.
- Piggy bank to curb your spending.
- In fact everything in this advice here “hit a gold plateau“
Blizzard wants you to be rich. It’s in their interest for you to have gold, for you to have in-game-spending-tokens whatever they are called. Because it gives you power to play the game. The more you play, the more you want to play. Would you still play WoW if quests didn’t give gold? If you had to farm, gather, craft? If garrisons didn’t give you thousands of gold per day. Garrisons can make a fortune all by themselves, and my friend Majeeko is currently working on a spreadsheet taking his notes about how much gold can be made purely from garrisons with alts. Make sure you have a garrison or six in your daily routine.
[quote]Blizzard wants you to be rich. [/quote]
Split your day into 15 or 30 minute chunks
Struggling with boredom during farming? Then make it a really quick farm. Break your time up into 30 minute sections or even 15 minutes. Use this link to set a timer for yourself. Set to 30 minutes, and after 30 minutes you are no longer allowed to continue farming that area. You must either move to a new area (include travel time in your 30 minute slot!) or log an alt for your next 30 minutes, and do something different. You can do anything for 15 minutes, even the ultra boring Guo Lai Halls “keys” farm.
What can you do in 30 minutes?
- It’s enough time for a few transmog farm runs of an old instance, enough time to spam BoT.
- It’s enough time to do all the crafting and auctioning required for the day for one profession.
- You could treat yourself with some pvp, or a heroic with your guildies.
- Reward yourself for work you do.
- Spend 30 minutes sniping at the AH, or just browsing through all the craftable items for one profession, learning the profits and pricepoints of your competitors.
- Repost your greenies (friends don’t let friends vendor greens).
- Research an addon and how to use it. TSM3 is out soon (™)
- Research raid tactics for the evening, then go back to gold making.
- Learn to flip.
- Read a gold blog. Watch a twitch.tv broadcast (recommended list coming soon!) Listen to a podcast.
- Grab some paper and write down a list of things to look into. Steal my ideas!
- Buy a professional gold guide (Here’s a recommended one.) (And here’s another one!)
- Chat to people on twitter, ask questions.
- Try things out and fail. Fail more. Every fail is one step closer to discovering something awesome that works, then adding it to your routine.
Why are my things not selling?
Are you pricing too high? Are you selling at the true market value or are you inflating the value to wishful thinking? Is there truly demand for this item? If it’s not selling at that price, in that quantity, at that time, learn from that, and change it.
Why am I being undercut?
Wait, you want specific ideas?
Best thing to do is scroll back over my blog posts, and check which ones are doable for you. Or, use the professions or addons menu tabs to look for your professions or addons you want to learn. Or just use the search bar at the top right of the page.
Remember, places to farm change all the time, they get nerfed, they get crowded, they get boring. Items to craft change with each expansion and patch. Garrison followers and missions change.
But the attitude towards making gold: abundance, hard work, determination, curiosity. These are timeless.
The Gold Queen is written by Alyzande. With many level 100s, 9 years expertise in making gold, 11 garrisons, 17k+ achievements, 1593 days played, and over 32 million gold earned. The Gold Queen blog teaches you how to make gold playing World of Warcraft using ethical trading, auction house flipping, crafting, reselling snatch lists, and farming gold making.