Sunwell Farming the Marshmallow Way
One of the easiest ways to make gold is to remember the old ways to make gold and check if they still work.
Marshmeileo from Twitter did this, reminding us to go back to the Sunwell and farm the raid for transmog and patterns.
That’s why I’m naming this guide after her: Sunwell Farming, The Marshmallow Way.
How To Get To The Sunwell
The Sunwell Plateau is a level 70 raid, the very last raid from The Burning Crusade Warcraft expansion.
Take a portal to Shattrath. There are none from Dalaran, so go first to Mists of Pandaria portal. There are none from Kul’Tiras or Zandalar, so get a friendly mage or use your Dalaran hearthstone.
From the Terrace of Light in the centre of Shattrath, take the Portal to Isle of Quel’Danas, which you know as Sunwell Isle.
Sunwell Transmog Patterns Loot
- BoP Plans: Hard Khorium Battlefists, but crafted item is BoE.
- Plans: Hard Khorium Battleplate.
- Plans: Sunblessed Breastplate
- BoP Plans: Sunblessed Gauntlets, but crafted item is BoE
Crafted items require engineering to use, which cuts down on the number of potential buyers and therefore rate of sales. However, you could get lucky, you only need one buyer per item!
- Schematic: Annihilator Holo-Gogs
- Schematic: Hard Khorium Goggles
- Schematic: Hyper-Magnified Moon Specs
- Schematic: Justicebringer 3000 Specs
- Schematic: Lightning Etched Specs
- Schematic: Mayhem Projection Goggles
- Schematic: Powerheal 9000 Lens
- Schematic: Primal-Attuned Goggles
- Schematic: Quad Deathblow X44 Goggles
- Schematic: Surestrike Goggles v3.0
- Schematic: Wonderheal XT68 Shades
- Pattern: Carapace of Sun and Shadow
- Pattern: Embrace of the Phoenix
- Pattern: Leather Chestguard of the Sun
- Pattern: Sun-Drenched Scale Chestguard
- BoP Pattern: Sun-Drenched Scale Gloves, but crafted item is BoE
- BoP Pattern: Fletcher’s Gloves of the Phoenix, but crafted item is BoE
- BoP Pattern: Gloves of Immortal Dusk, but crafted item is BoE
- BoP Pattern: Leather Gauntlets of the Sun, but crafted item is BoE
Study of Advanced Smelting is a Bind on Pickup item, but Hardened Khorium is BoE, sellable on the Auction House, and used in the patterns for Hard Khorium Battlefists, Sunblessed Gauntlets, (BS) and Hard Khorium Goggles (Eng).
- Pattern: Robe of Eternal Light
- Pattern: Sunfire Robe
- BoP Pattern: Hands of Eternal Light, but crafted item is BoE
- BoP Pattern: Sunfire Handwraps, but crafted item is BoE
BoE patterns only, as crafted necks and rings don’t sell for transmog.
You may want to pick up the other BoP JC patterns for completionism.
- Design: Amulet of Flowing Life
- Design: Hard Khorium Choker
- Design: Pendant of Sunfire
Selling Sunwell Loot
Blacksmith Plans, sell for up to 5000g. Crafted items 100k if you are patient and have no competitors.
Engineering items 80-100k. but can take longer to sell.
Jewelcrafting patterns: up to 5000g each
Tailoring patterns 5-10,000g each. Crafted items 100,000g-200,000g each.
Leatherworking patterns, 20k each. Crafted items 100,000g+ each
Mining, Hardened Khorium sells for 5-10,000g each
As always, my tips are to preserve the perceived rarity. Make it seem like they’re very special and very rare. Only ever put one of the item on the Auction House. If you’re faced with a competitor, it’s ok to temporarily back off rather than ruin the prices.
What else can you get in Sunwell?
Burning Crusade transmog items
Sets: Archmage, Bloodfist, Boneshredder, Consortium, Conqueror’s, Eldr’naan, Expedition, Murkblood, Shadow Council, Shattered Hand, Skettis, Sundered, Talhide, Warlord’s, Warmaul and similar sets. Collect and sell as full transmog sets.
Khorium Lockboxes containing these transmogs
Various blue weapons, chance for world drop patterns.
Uncommon necklace and rings: disenchant these.
Netherweave Cloth: craft into bags and sell on the AH.
Epic Jewelcrafting materials: Crimson Spinel, Lionseye, Seaspray Emerald, Pyrestone, Empyrean Sapphire, Shadowsong Amethyst. All the recipes can be bought from the Shattered Sun vendor in Quel’Danas, if you don’t already have them.
Sunmotes, used for crafting Sunwell items
- Fletcher’s Gloves of the Phoenix
- Gloves of Immortal Dusk
- Hands of Eternal Light
- Hard Khorium Band
- Hard Khorium Battlefists
- Leather Gauntlets of the Sun
- Loop of Forged Power
- Ring of Flowing Life
- Sun-Drenched Scale Gloves
- Sunblessed Gauntlets
- Sunfire Handwraps
Pets: Sunblade Rune of Activation (Sunblade Microdefender pet), Servant’s Bell (Wretched Servant pet). Void Collar (Chaos Pup pet).
These can be learned, recaged, and sold, 500g-1,500g each.
BoP Transmog for yourself.
You can’t make gold with it, but it can go in your transmog collection, maybe save you a few gold on buying lookalike items.
If there is so much amazing loot in Sunwell, why don’t you go every week?
because there is not much trash, and gives very little “raw” gold per hour. So don’t burn yourself out (geddit?) going regularly, keep it as an irregular side adventure. While you’re on Quel’Danas, look out for Mana Thistle, ore, including Khorium, and the Magister’s Terrace heroic dungeon.
About the Author
Warcraft’s longest running Gold Making blog, The Gold Queen is written by Alyzande since 2010. Working on her 14th level 110, she has 9 years expertise in making gold, 19,000+ achievements, 1593 days played, over 39 million gold earned, and now playing World of Warcraft Legion live on www.twitch.tv/thegoldqueen The Gold Queen blog teaches you how to make gold playing Warcraft using ethical trading, auction house flipping, crafting, reselling, snatch lists, and farming gold making. Want more updates on Warcraft Battle for Azeroth? Support our Patreon for exclusive pre-release Gold Guides.